Learn more about Legend’s holistic approaches to sustaining the environment, preserving cultural heritage & conservation.
- All our old linen & towels are recycled into washing cloths used by the staff members.
- Uniforms are turned into staff-headboards, and carpets as well as for volunteers.
- Old curtains and off-cuts of fabric & vinyl are handmade into luggage for re-sale in curio shops.
- All oil used at each property is turned into biodiesel for re-use purposes.
- We recycle our plastic which is also turned into biodiesel.
- All additional waste is being re-sold to recyclers at the nearest town (glass, paper, metal, electronics).
- Composting –
- Garden refuse
- Used filter coffee
- Ash from boma-fires burnt
- We collect all used Tea-bags to turn into Fire starters for fireplaces or boma’s
- Event-bikes are used again to provide extra FREE activity for all guests onsite on our property, encouraging cycling around vs driving.
- Used/discontinued thatching into erosion-plugs.
- Each of our properties has Solar and/or gas backup in case of a power outage.
- We use Biodiesel for all our generator back-up.
- We use 50% Biodiesel in our fuel for on-site vehicles.
- All our light globes are replaced by LED lights.
- All machines that cannot be fixed are replaced with energy-efficient ones.
- Laundry, refuse, etc. are done on-site & not transferred off-site.
- Permanent staff members are living on-site & are not transferred to & from town.
- We use our horses instead of cars for on-site patrols.
- Timers on all appliances used with solar.
- On-site maintenance fixes leaking taps immediately.
- We have a Guest towels and Linen-saving-procedure in place.
- We do not dispose our oils into a drain but rather reuse it in SUMPYS for biodiesel. (Staff, students & guests)
- Our gardens are filled with indigenous plants and are watered by a drip irrigation-system.
- Water-stations / bottles on-site are no plastic bottles.
PAPER / TREE-SAVING
- Our Group’s system BACK-UPS are ELECTRONIC only with all hardcopies scanned in.
- All properties and camps has signal which gives guests/clients option to e-mail slip and not print.
- All meetings are paperless (via Zoom/ Teams mostly) and only with own notebooks if necessary.
- All properties/camps only have 1 x printer on each site and uses no more than 1 x paper-ream per month.
- We have a Tree-planting – option given at booking and check-out phase to each client to minimise carbon-use of holiday.
- Cars on-site only allowed to drive on roads & thus preventing further damage to our bushveld.
- Tree-planting activity given to each tour-operator as part of proposed itinerary and included in activity – list of each property/camp.
- All guest- interactive communications are permanent-printing on long-lasting material & not on paper, eg. Sleep-stories.
- Legend would love to have Bee-hives on each site providing pure honey at each property.
- We are aiming to have our own Tea-plantation to support local people & providing our homegrown tea at each property.
- Self-sustaining Vegetable gardens for each restaurant.
- Each staff member gifted the items below for personal use on property:
- Shopping bag
HOW WE SPEND OUR MONEY!
- We support local suppliers for all maintenance/construction items.
- All our food & beverages are being supplied by locals only.
- Only biodegradable cleaning supplies are used.
- All guest amenities in rooms are refillable thus reducing waste.
- All our renovation- and major-interior-projects are repurposed between 50- and 75% recycled materials.
- 100% of all Staff are Southern African.
- On-site ice machines provide all ice and thus we save energy, water & fossil fuels
Legend Luxury Resort Villas
Sterkrivier – Waterberg Region
Tel: +27 (0) 12 443 6700
WhatsApp: +27 (0) 81 530 0144